Story
Jack Wan, the son of a prestigious Cantonese Opera clan, decides to move out so that he can establish his own career as an EDM/Hip Hop artist. When he leaves his family, although a rough farewell, gives him a parting gift. An old family heirloom, a Cantonese opera mask that's been passed down generation to generation. After several days, Jack notices that the mask has caused him some unsettling vibes in his house and neglects it... which only makes the problem worse.
Themes
The theme of the film is family and tradition vs contemporary. The mask is the symbolization of these two themes. Jack left his home to create his own art away from tradition: hip hop. In a city where you can be in an old Hakka village, then in the bustling center or Central within minutes, I felt that this was a theme that would impact the Hong Kong people, as it is something that I felt as I grew up in this city.
Goals
Through this film, I want to create an atmospheric horror film. In Hollywood, and even Hong Kong horror films, the genre is now defined by cheap jump scares and strays away from the classic horror films that used the atmosphere to instill the horror, such as The Haunting (1963).
No comments:
Post a Comment